Alex is the Migration Manager with FCB Smart Visa. Based in our Sydney office, Alex is both an immigration lawyer and a registered migration agent (MARN 0601370). He has spent over twelve years working on business investment and employment related migration issues. Alex has particular experience in business and investment visas, including special expertise in the significant investor visa category.
‘Once I finished my degree in Asian studies, I taught at the Guangzhou Institute of Foreign Language & Trade. After returning to Australia, I worked in marketing and film production and completed my law degree. At that point, it made sense to marry my Chinese language and cross-cultural skills with the practice of immigration law. Initially, I worked for a China-focused practice that assisted entrepreneurs and investors to establish themselves in Australia. From there, I took a position as a senior associate at Katie Malyon & Associates, one of the most highly regarded immigration law firms in Australia, and then became a manager in the immigration team at Ernst & Young.’
As a practising immigration lawyer and registered migration agent, Alex is adept at bridging the gaps and addressing the links between immigration and employment law. Having worked in immigration for over a decade, he also has the analytical skills and experience to anticipate the tangential factors that may arise from taking a particular course of action, and adapt to the constant changes in Australian immigration law and policy.
At FCB Smart Visa, Alex specialises in:
- Advising and acting for public sector, corporate and individual clients to achieve the best employment-related outcomes through the 457 visa program
- Assisting fund managers and entrepreneurs to facilitate trade and investment activity through Australia’s business innovation and investment visa program
- Advising and acting for individuals in obtaining Australian permanent residence and citizenship
- Representing clients with ancillary and post-settlement legal services (including customs/quarantine requirements, Foreign Investment Review Board applications, purchase of business/real property, leasing of commercial premises, and referrals to tax and accounting services).
Alex has notable experience working with engineering firms, health service providers, financial institutions, recruitment businesses, education providers and high-net-worth individuals. He has acted for two major banks in relation to immigration compliance following a merger and transition to a single Authorised Deposit-Taking Institution, a global Fortune 500 imaging company in relation to its Australian immigration requirements, and a major e-commerce and online payments conglomerate in relation to immigration compliance following a demerger.
Alex is conversational in Mandarin Chinese.
‘FCB Group can truly be described as “big enough, small enough”, because we have the resources and the profile to be relevant, progressive and coordinated in a way that tends to elude larger and smaller firms. Obviously, we wouldn’t have been able to diversify into such a dynamic firm so successfully if we hadn’t been able to attract the right people and to maintain consistently high standards. Put simply, it’s the quality and consistency of our work that has led to FCB Group developing its market-leading reputation.’
- Bachelor of Arts (Asian Studies) (University of New England)
- Bachelor of Laws (University of Western Sydney)
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice